Family Law - Access

When a couple separates, one parent is granted custody and the other is granted access rights. Access addresses such issues as the right to have the child stay overnight – occasionally, on alternate weekends or during school holidays – and the right for parent and child to go on holidays together. Sometimes parents can agree between themselves the arrangements for custody and access to the child, or if agreement cannot be reached then either parent can make an application to the court to decide these issues.

It is always the welfare of the child that is the most important factor in these cases. It is a child’s right to see both parents and access rights will only be denied if the court believes that it is not in the best interest of the child. The court can set out the time, place and duration of access visits and can order supervised access where another adult is present during visits if it considers it appropriate.

Julie Breen Solicitors LLP in Ferns and Ennsicorthy can help you work out suitable access arrangements, or we can advise you on applying to court if required.